Newcastle Upon Tyne
We are looking for a Residential Youth Support Workers to join our fantastic company who
support young care leavers in their specialist Housing and Support schemes into independent.
To deliver and support up to 4 young care leavers aged 16 – 17 years old in a 24/7 staffed semi-
The role is to offer and provide the young people daily life skills such as cooking, budgeting,
accessing education, training or employment etc. This will be based around structured key work
sessions. These sessions will aim to promote the life skills of young people and support their
transition into adulthood.
- Manage a young person living semi-independently in the community; you will be responsible
in structuring key work sessions consistent with an independent placement agreement.
- Monitor the young person’s ability to engage with everyday living and develop skills where
necessary by supporting their identified needs.
- Support the young person in settling within the community and accessing local resources.
- Encourage and support the young person in accessing education, training or employment as
well as supporting them with any application process.
- Support and assist the young person around budgeting money, grocery shopping and
administer a weekly subsistence allowance.
- Encourage the young person to engage and take part with positive activities within the
community, building on relationships and developing social networks.
- Maintain accurate record/ log keeping.
- Maintain petty cash and receipts for each expenditure.
- To maintain the cleanliness and hygiene of the accommodation.
- Work with your line manager and the young person to develop a structured programme of key
work sessions based upon the young person’s individual support needs and focussed on
developing their self-confidence and esteem.
- Promote safe, consistent and understandable boundaries with the young person in
conjunction with a ‘Young Person’s Agreement’.
- Encourage the young person to take an active part in the local community, building
relationships and maintaining social networks.
- Prepare high standard monthly progress reports regarding the young person’s progress which
are submitted to the placing authority.
- Complete required paperwork/ administration.
- Work in partnership with other agencies and support the young people to attend meetings
with other professionals. You will be required to attend admission and planning meetings; and
attend Looked After Children’s Reviews ensuring all relevant paperwork is complete.
- You will be responsible to carry out weekly Health and Safety checks within the
accommodation. You must record and report any repair work or damage to the property to
ensure it is kept to a high standard.
- Maintain confidentiality of young people and report any concerns regarding young person’s
welfare to your line manager.
- Attend staff meetings and training sessions as and when required.
- You will be expected to take part and attend structured supervision sessions at least once a
Person Specification- ESSENTIAL
- At least 1 years’ Experience of working with children and Adolescents
- Working individually and within a team
- Holds a Level 3 NVQ in Childcare or Young people’s workforce qualification
- Be committed to completing QCF /NVQ Level 3 award in Health & Social Care (Children)
within the set time frame. This is a statutory requirement for all employees wishing to work in
Personal attributes and child centred approach
- Working individually and within a team
- Self-motivated and a positive nature
- Ability to engage with young people in a positive and proactive approach
- Sense of humour
- Sensitive and reflective
- Honesty and reliability
- Ability to listen and empathise
- Ability to assess risks
Job related knowledge and skills
- Effective communication skills: recording and report writing and verbal communication.
- Awareness of non-verbal communication i.e. eye contact and personal space etc
- A professional and caring value base i.e. consistency and empathy
- Ability to lone work with individual young people
- Willing to work additional hours to cover sickness and holidays and to work in other homes
within your area.
- Willing to work Bank Holidays & Christmas Holidays
- Have good medical health
Please not that interview will be conducted in London or Newcastle Upon Tyne.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: £8.00 – £9.00